Art Contests Are Scams
– One of the things that I am on a campaign to help eradicate is artists who are getting scammed by art contests. And let me just say something. These art contest organizers come in lots of different forms. And they’re very sophisticated and they take full advantage of your vulnerability. My dog just went crazy. So if you’ve been taken advantage of in this way, you’re not alone. It’s a very common issue. But it’s a very costly issue.
What art contests are costing you?
– And that hurt. So now we’re looking at a huge loss and this is just bare minimums. You know it doesn’t include the framing and all the painting I did for it and stuff like that and …
– So what I’m trying to get at is I’m trying to get my students to actually do the accounting. To really add up all the costs. So we don’t want to just, because knowledge is powerful and it will motivate you.
Do you know what art contest have cost you?
We gotta have the facts, right? We need to know in one column, how much did you spend in one category. Cause what’s happening is right now it’s all getting lumped together. We’re only talking about art contests. That’s it. Only talking about art contests. So what are all of the fees associated with art contests? The framing, what was the shipping? For art contests. Then did you make any money as a result of these art contests?
How can you fix this?
So you made the right move. Because in the first 30 days, you made more than, it’s almost three times your tuition back. So you’re doing the right thing now. But I want you to get powerful control over these numbers.
– Well I can tell you in doing this, I learned an incredible amount of stuff. First I learned that I was messing up. Even though I had Quicken, I was messing up my personal expenses with my business expense. So about halfway through this year I absolutely quit doing that. And I’d been moving money back and forth and making sure that anything that goes off of this one account is strictly income that comes in for my art and money that goes out for my art.
Why did this happen?
It kinda goes back and it’s helping me right now, but it’s going back to this self-limiting belief I have that as long as I’m an artist I’m always gonna live in lack. And I know, with the code to joy this last week I have dug into that and I know where it’s coming from. And I’m working on getting rid of it.
– I just fight with money and I fight with doing, posting things in books, and looking at that business part of it is. And I know that’s what I need. I really do.
– So when you just said I fight with money. That’s a story. So what I want you to do is catch yourself when you’re telling yourself a story that doesn’t serve you. Tell yourself a story that does serve you. Go right ahead, you know, believe it. But that story doesn’t serve you. I fight with money. What would be a better story?
– What would be a better story. I have–
– What would you like, let’s put it this way. What would you like the story to be?
– I would like the story to be that I know where my money goes and what comes in and what I need in the future and that, and get out your I’m trying to go, I keep going back to this fear of not having enough money.
– Okay. I want to point out something. So I want to point something out to you Jill, that’s not a story, okay. It’s actual fact. When you and I spoke before, you’d made over $5000 in art sales that you wouldn’t have otherwise if you had not joined the program. Is that right? Is that a fact?
– Yeah, that’s a fact.
– Okay so can you rely on that fact as proof that you could absolutely do this? And I have 100% confidence in you that you can change this story and make it a positive one. And if you need help you’ve got study partners around the world who will help you.
Do you know the truth?
So I know this is painful and I just want to acknowledge that it’s very courageous of you, because here’s the thing, the truth sets you free. By looking at these numbers and your accounting the way that you did it in the past. If you didn’t do that, how in the heck are you gonna get your head around how to do it right? You’ve gotta look at it.
– Right. Learn from your mistakes.
– Do I say that over and over and over and over again?
– Yes. Yes, yes. It’s the only way but it’s the devil book I call it.
– Oh it’s called Outwitting the Devil.
– Yeah, Outwitting the Devil, he really nails that. You know that mistakes that’s where you really learn. You don’t learn from constantly floating through life and having everything handed to you, and you make no mistakes, and everything’s great. That doesn’t happen. I can really see that.
Are you struggling alone?
– You could say, “You know what, “I’m going to take this one small step at a time, “and I’m not going to try to do this by myself “because I feel I’ve got help.” And I bet you’re not the only person the making art, making money semester who’d like to get through this and would like to do it with somebody else.
Are you making, or losing, money selling your art?
– And all this figures and the money and where it’s gone. I’m sure there’s, in fact I’ve talked with other artists at other shows. I mean they don’t have clues, you know? It’s all about sales and they can’t tell me what it costs to make that and they just go and pay the fees. Entering art shows. Well the one thing I noticed when I was adding this up is that show fees and show sales commissions, was the biggest column. The biggest amount of money. Whether or not they were shows that, there were a lot I entered online thinking that was it.
What should you do next?
– I’m going to give you a very specific homework assignment. It’s gonna help you. I want you to just add up the online art contest fees. And all of the costs associated with all of the online art contests. Meaning the framing, the shipping, the photography, the insurance, the time it took you to do it. Just online art contests. When you’re done, let me know. Email it to me. Email me a summary. And I want you to put the dates on it. So do the best accounting as you can. If you don’t know just make your best estimate. Trace it back all the online contests. And put the name of the contest. If you know the name, put the name of the contest, the entry fee, and all the associated costs, and the date of that contest. Then put the next online art contest. The date, the fee, and all of the associated costs. All right so that’s very specific.
Why do you have to do this?
Now why this is so critical everybody has to do this because you have to figure out all the money you’re spending in the activities you’re engaging in, which ones are the most profitable? And if something’s not profitable it’s actually costing you a lot of money, you gotta quit it. But you won’t know unless you do the math. If they shows are not yielding a profit, there is no point in the exercise. No point to it. This is why I emphasis referrals so much, because what do they cost ya?
– Nothin’ just asking.
– Exactly. And are they easier sales or what?
Ready to join Jill in the challenge?
– I just want you to focus on the art contests for now. We already know those are a money suck. We already know those are a drain. Let’s find out how much of a drain. Let’s find out the exact number with dates, okay?
– And then when you’re done send it to me. Send it to me by the end of next week. You’ve gotta week. That’s plenty of time.
– Okay. I got a week. So just online art contests.
– That’s it. Remember the fact. The fact is you sold over $5000 of your art, in less than, like the first freakin’ week of joining the program and you would not have otherwise. Remind yourself of that.
– Okay. I’ll put it up somewhere.
– That’s a fact.
– That’s a fact.
– Not a story, that’s a fact. Okay?