Recently I was coaching an artist who remarked that some of the insights that she was gaining during our sessions reminded her of some of the shifts that have occurred for her with her 12-step program.
I said, “Cool. Maybe I should write a 12 step program for Artists Who THRIVE?” She said, “You should!” I replied, “I can and I will!” So here it is:
- Don’t believe everything you think. When a negative thought enters your brain investigate it logically and ask: “Is this really true? What real evidence do I have? Is this just fear talking again?”
- Have faith. Focus on the possibilities not the problems. When problems come up, focus on the solutions.
- Challenge conventional thinking. Take risks.
- Maintain a clear positive vision of what you want, feel it, then act. And remember that optimistic people get more done, they are more successful, and better to be around.
- Commit. If you’re interested, you’ll do what’s convenient. If you’re committed, you’ll do whatever it takes. Freedom is born of discipline.
- Have a plan or your life with fall into other people’s plans. Break your vision down into very specific SMART goals.
- You can’t manage time, only your priorities. Before you go to bed, write down six things that you are going to do the following day towards meeting your SMART goal, in order of their priority. Wake up and do your very best to complete each thing, in order, until it’s done.
- Believe in yourself and surround yourself with others who also believe in you.
- Think each day about what you will give, not what you will get. It’s not about you. Your compensation is a reflection of the value you offer.
- Accept that you are responsible for your successes and failures. Celebrate your successes.
- Embrace your inevitable failures. They are your greatest teachers.
- Be yourself. Develop your unique voice and lead. Successful artists are leaders.
- Warren Buffett was asked, “What is the best investment you can make?” His reply, “Invest in yourself.” So invest in yourself, you’re worth it. (bonus step)
In this moment you are just where you are supposed to be. Now act, even with fear and uncertainty. Start small. Make a commitment to yourself and keep it. Build on that.